In honor of Detroit's designation as the first and only UNESCO City of Design in the United States, Design Core Detroit is partnering with Bedrock to select designers to create Holiday Window Installations.
If you would like to create a holiday themed window installation, we want to hear from you!
Design Core and Bedrock are looking to transform the windows at 1401 Woodward Avenue with highly photographable + Insta-grammable displays that are engaging and represent Detroit. Two designer(s), with an emphasis on women and designers of color, will be selected by a curatorial committee to participate and will each receive a $3,000 stipend to cover materials, labor and expenses for the creation of their installations. Displays will be on view inside 1401 Woodward Avenue from November 19th - January 24th.
The holiday window installations create a platform for Detroit designers to showcase and build awareness of their work while receiving support from Design Core.
- Applications are open from Monday, October 18th and will close on Sunday, October 31st at 11:59 pm.
Who is eligible to apply?
Submissions are open to members of the Detroit Design Network and cohorts of the 2020 Design in the City program.
Two designers will each receive a $3,000 stipend to cover materials and expenses for the creation of an installation that will be displayed inside 1401 Woodward Avenue from November 11th - January 4th. We are looking for ideas that are highly photographable and push the boundaries of visual communication. Stipends will be distributed in two $1500 increments based on achievement of activation milestones. Design Core will also provide support throughout the activation.
Upon selection, designers will be asked to sign a memorandum of understanding agreeing to program roles and responsibilities which include:
- Participate in program orientation upon selection
- Complete vendor approval forms as required by Bedrock and Design Core Detroit
- Provide status updates upon request
- Installation must be ready for public viewing by Nov. 19th, 2021 (iIf more time is needed we can discuss).
- Installation must remain up until January 24th, 2022
- Installation must be taken down between January 25th - 28th
- Complete program survey by January 29, 2022
- October 7-14th: Design Core to create Open Call Copy
- Oct. 18th: Open call published
- November 1st: Open call closes
- November 1st-2nd: Design Core Review Submissions
- November 2-3rd: Final designer selection with Bedrock
- November 3rd: designers selected and notified Designers Notified
- November 5th: in-person site visit
- November 8th: Designers finalize concepts and submit any significant changes for approval
- November 12th- 18th: Set-up and installation
- November 19th: Campus Martius Tree Lighting Ceremony
- November 19th - Week of Nov. 22nd: Marketing, promotion, and social media coverage
- November 19th - January 24th: Installations on view to the public
- January 25th - 28th: Installation take-down
- February 4th: Participation Survey due
2021 Selection Committee
- Kiana Wenzell, Director of Culture and Community, Design Core
- Bonnie Fahoome, Director of Business Programs, Design Core
- Cydney Camp, Business Programs Manager, Design Core
- Ariana McCowin, Tenant Experience Associate, Bedrock
- Katie Sobczak, Associate Project Manager
- Shelby Seay, Communications lead, Design Core Detroit
About Design Core Detroit
Design Core Detroit champions design-driven businesses and their role in strengthening Detroit’s economy. It offers services to strengthen, grow and attract design businesses, increases market demand for design services and tells Detroit’s design story locally and globally. Design Core is the steward of Detroit’s UNESCO City of Design designation and is a partnership of the College for Creative Studies and Business Leaders for Michigan.
Email questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Plus and Premier members of the Detroit Design Network are welcomed to share their industry expertise at one of five Design and Dine lunch lectures. Designers can apply to develop and deliver a 50 minute lecture, program, or workshop. The series aims to connect designers, share knowledge, and help attendees build a wide range of design-based skillsets.
Topics can be on a variety of subjects. Some key areas that members have expressed an interest in for future sessions include copywriting and content, business skills, graphic design, marketing, and more.
Each proposal is reviewed for the following criteria:
- Diversity of design disciplines
- Interest and relevancy of the subject matter
- A thoroughly developed proposal idea
- 11:30am - 12:00pm: Registration and lunch
- 12:00pm - 12:50pm: Presentation
- 12:50 - 1:00pm: Q & A
- prepare presentation curriculum
- draft a program description and titles for promotion
Design Network staff will...
- pay a $500 facilitator stipend
- promote the lecture
- manage registration
- secure event space
- order lunch
There will be five opportunities to present at a Design and Dine Lunch Lecture series. The 2019 schedule is as follows:
- April 18, 2019
- June 20, 2019
- August 22, 2019
- October 24, 2019
CONGRATULATIONS ON BEING ACCEPTED AS A DESIGNER FOR DESIGNER LANE!
PLEASE SUBMIT PAYMENT TO RESERVE YOUR RESERVATION.
- Shared Space: $55.00 (8ft table)
- Private Space: $105.00(10'x10' space)
Included in pricing:
- Table, chairs, security, Shed 2 lighting, flooring. (Table linen is not included)
- Communication and promotion on DC3/DDF website, newsletter, and social media channels
Creation, delivery, setup and breakdown of space
AV and technical needs
Any additional furniture or equipment
Setup will occur on Thursday, 9/22 between 12 noon and 7pm
Break down and restoration will occur on Thursday, 9/22 between 11pm and 12 midnight. **Please note all displays must be cleared by 12 midnight or a fine will occur
Email any questions/concerns to: email@example.com
Need some creative help solving your business challenge?
You’ve come to the right place.
Design Core Detroit is here to help businesses to grow with design. Our Detroit Design Network is the easiest, most effective way to solve your business challenges. We’ve selected Detroit’s finest creatives and simplified the vendor process. You can simply submit your project to us, and get multiple bids from vetted, experienced, and reliable designers.
Why use the Design Network?
- Access to industry-vetted, experienced designers and firms in one place
- Post one project, and receive multiple from qualified firms and freelancers
- Easiest, quickest way to meet local designers and firms
How does this work?
First, you'll submit the intake form for your needs. Once we receive your completed information, we share it with the designers in our Detroit Design Network via our weekly member newsletter. From here, the designers will directly respond to your main contact with their individual bids.
You can learn more about the process of working with a designer here, and view a sample RFP template here. If you need additional support, please email Cydney Camp (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Bonnie Fahoome (email@example.com).
Design Core Detroit's Client Services Boot Camp is an interactive, six-session program for small-to-medium sized design firms/agencies and freelancers, based on the fundamentals of client services for design service providers.
Sessions will be workshop-based and held in the evenings on Mondays and Wednesdays, twice a week for three weeks back to back. All workshops will include a speaker presentation, group or individual exercise, and Q&A. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, sessions will be held virtually over Zoom.
Participants will exit the program with a broad understanding of what design client services are, strategies on how to immediately implement and provide improved or more intentional client service, tools and resources to learn more or dig deeper, and a sense of community and understanding with their fellow participants.
The program fee for the full, six-session series is $265 per attendee. A limited number of scholarships are available for qualified businesses. If you're interested in participating, but need help with the program fee, please indicate that in the appropriate place on the application.
Each session will cover a specific topic:
- November 1st 6-8PM - Intro to Client Services
- November 3rd 6-8PM - Pricing, Time Tracking & Invoicing
- November 8th 6-8PM - Proposal Development
- November 10th 6-8PM - Contracts, Incorporation & IP
- November 15th 6-8PM - Discovery & Briefing
- November 17th 6-8PM - Final pitches & Introduction to the Detroit Design Network
Applications are due by October 24. To be accepted, applicants must be in market generating revenue through the delivery of some kind of design-based service. Applications are evaluated by Design Core staff according to their business stage, design discipline, and statement of interest.
For accepted applicants, payment is expected in full, within three (3) business days of invoicing. If payment is not received, we will assume that you're no longer interested and will offer your seat to the next applicant.
Questions or technical issues? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
More about the application
The form on the next page is a text-based application to Design Core Detroit's signature Client Services Bootcamp program that was described above. It contains 24 fields and will take approximately 10-20 minutes to complete. Any individual personal information collected will be used to evaluate program applications, and will not be shared with anyone. We do share anonymous demographic and business information in aggregate with our funders when we submit grant reports.