Design Core Detroit is honored to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Detroit Month of Design September 1st - 30th.
If you would like to organize or curate a design event in September, we want to hear from you! Design Core is looking to infuse the festival with interactive and engaging experiences. We are calling all makers, curators and innovators to propose an idea. Detroit Month of Design events are independently managed, funded and produced by the event organizer. Up to 35 events will be selected by a curatorial committee to be included in the official printed and digital Detroit Month of Design program guide. You can view 2019 happenings here.
Applications are open from Monday, February 10th and will close on Monday, April 13th at 11:59 pm.
In 2020, we are looking to feature the following type and quantity of events:
- 4-5 exhibitions
- 3-5 Guided tours
- 3-5 Open Studios
- 4-5 hands on workshops
- 3-5 Interactive design installations
- 4 Talks, panel discussions or conferences
- 5 Events or experiences that are multi-day
- Family-friendly or youth driven-design activities
- Events or experiences that explicitly attract out-of-town guests
Who is eligible to apply?
Submissions are open to the public. We place an emphasis on showcasing Detroit talent and venues but are open to submissions from regional, national and international designers.
Events and experiences are independently funded, managed and implemented by the event organizer. Design Core does not offer micro-grants. We recommend having a plan in place to attain the financial and technical support needed to execute your event or installation if selected.
- May: Selected designers are notified
- June: Designers finalize events details for inclusion in the printed program guide
- July - August: Promotion, planning, program guide distribution
- September: Detroit Month of Design
- October: Reporting and tracking
2020 Curatorial Committee
- Blige Nur Saltik, Founder, Form & Seek
- Amani Olu, Founder and CEO, Olu & Company
- Rosalyn Karamoko, Owner, Detroit is the New Black
- Tiffany Cobb, Principal Designer, Tiffany René Interior Design
- Alice Stori Liechtenstein, Founder, Schloss Hollenegg for Design
- Noah Resnik, Associate Dean, University of Detroit Mercy, School of Architecture
About Detroit Month of Design
The Detroit Month of Design is annual festival highlighting multi-disciplinary design practices throughout the city. This citywide celebration gathers designers, business owners, consumers and enthusiasts to honor and recognize Detroit's role as a national and global design capital. The festival is an opportunity for makers and the greater community to experience the latest works and ideas by Detroit's top design talent.
Applicants are not limited to one submission. Please fill out another application to be considered for other opportunities.
Email questions to: email@example.com.